Thursday, May 21, 2009

Cut between toes :(





This is what happened:

The previous owners had this metal around 2 trees and the areas with the bushes. This metal was sticking out. Very bad idea. We didn't get a chance to take it out yet, plus it was really deep in the earth. Dogs were fine the whole time, but as we know Great Danes, they are clumsy.
Iceis is very careful and she would never step on it, he on the other hand is a clumsy big boy and like he doesn't know.
Past Saturday after playing in the afternoon I noticed Cerby's very red right-hand rear paw. After inspecting it, I saw a pretty big cut about 2 cm deep in between his toes. I looked up online what the first aid should look like. You can barely find something about a cut between toes online, all they have is cut on the paw. Anyways, I was rinsed it with salt water and put my antibiotic ointment on it and bandaged it.
What I didn't know is, when you bandage a dogs paw you should always put cotton between his toes so they won't get infected. Well his got red and I didn't know why until I found out.
Monday or Tuesday I took him to the vet and he told me there is no point in giving stitches cause it is a difficult area and it's longer then 24hrs ago. The stitches would open every time he would step on this paw. I should keep doing what I was doing and he gave me some antibiotic pills for him.

He weights now 113.8 lbs with 7 months, he is a big boy :-) a brave one.

My mom gave me the advise to rinse his paw with chamomile tea it helps and prevents infections also and doesn't burn. Yesterday I bought hydrogen peroxide and a new bandage.
I think it is getting better but it takes time.
I am sorry for those two crazy kids I have here, cause they want to play outside and they can't. Iceis is really sad looking at me with her big eyes, he is fine, he is chewing on his mamut (huge) bone.

I will keep you updated.

No comments: